Housekeeping Staff

Published Date: September 1st, 2008

Bryn Mawr CollegeIn this on-line forum, you are invited to reflect on your experiences with current and/or former members of the housekeeping staff. Please tell us about their impact on you as a student while you were living and learning in the Bryn Mawr community.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 1st, 2008 at 3:52 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

3 Responses to “Housekeeping Staff”

#1

As a faculty member and docotral student at the GSSWSR, I must ackowledge the impact that Edward Valentine had on my life. He was the first person that I saw when I entered the building on Airdale Road. One of his first acts was to help me fish out some papers from the dumpster that had historical significance for my new position as black student recruitment coordinator. From then on, Eddie greeted all of us in the hallway, depositing words of cheer into our spirits before we met the various challenges that awaited us. He was my cheerleader as I worked towad my doctorate. I have a picture of Eddie at my graduation as he blessed me with his big hug and a kiss. I was as proud of him as he was of me. Eddie’s presence and way of being prepared me for the other housekeeping and campus staff that I met. He made sure to introduce me to his colleagues on the main campus and asked them to look out for me. Eddie was special because of his unconditional love.

#2
Nell Lokey Rivers '74

Many thanks to all of the Housekeeping and Cooking staff who were employed at Bryn Mawr in the ’70s. I appreciate the side chats, words of encouragement and hot rolls before dinner. Thank you for caring about students who needed a kind word and a smile.

#3

Bryn Mawr has been fortunate to have a dedicated and professional housekeeping and cooking staff. My father died during my student years at Bryn Mawr. I found out at that time, that he had met just about all of the housekeeping staff and had asked them to keep an eye on me. It was wonderful to know I had so many supporters looking out for me on campus. They took an interest in the well-being of Bryn Mawr students that made a real difference in so many of our lives. They truly are unsung heroes at Bryn Mawr. I am so glad that we will have a chance to honor them.