Florence Goff

Published Date: September 3rd, 2008

Associate Chief Information Officer and Equal Opportunity Officer

Florence GoffFor several decades, Florence has been an unofficial adviser to many Black students at Bryn Mawr on issues ranging from academic matters to personal issues. She was also a long-time mentor in the College’s On-Target Mentoring Program for Students of Color. More recently, she has advised students from a wide range of backgrounds on governance issues related to the Self-Government Association (SGA). As a member of the Diversity Leadership Group, Florence has been a mover and shaker in the establishment of the Social Justice Pilot Project this past year. She has provided crucial historical memory about Black students, faculty and staff at the College, through research in Bryn Mawr’s archives. She has been an ardent supporter of the Mellon-Mays Undergraduate Fellows Program, and several students in this program have sought her advice and counsel regarding their research projects. As EO Officer, Florence focuses not only on ensuring the college’s compliance with state and federal Equal Employment Opportunities regulations but also on broader issues of diversity within the Bryn Mawr staff.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 at 8:49 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Florence Goff”

#1

Florence Goff was the library resource person for the GSSWSR when I came on the faculty in 1979, initially. I thought I was short and small until I met her. We spent many hours together in the library and around campus, sharing experiences, talking about family, and encouraging each other. I have admired her over the years because of her steadfastness regardless of the surroundings. She weathered many storms, and seemed able to do so because she knew why she was at Bryn Mawr. She always took very seriously her role as a point of sanity for many students and faculty of color. She has a way of speaking calmly and slowly to aid reflection. She arrested many a brewing storm because she could see further than the exasperating moment. Florence is a wise woman who has effectiveley prompted wise action in others. What a mighty force in a little package!

#2

Florence Goff is one of the individuals who made it possible for me to earn a Bryn Mawr College education. My earliest encounter with Florence was during the Mellon summer program, where she taught me how to research doctoral programs and funding. I was re-introduced to Florence that subsequent fall by Jennifer Prince ’04. We visited Florence to discuss our interest in improving the Black Cultural Center’s library collection. She graciously welcomed us into her office, and she listened attentively to our ideas and shared her expertise. Her unwavering support and guidance made it possible for the Black Cultural Center’s (BCC) library collection to be cataloged into the college’s online system, and with her assistance the BCC library was awarded a $10,000 grant by President Nancy J. Vickers. Our friendship continued to evolve through the years as I confided in Florence and relied upon her wise counsel. Her office became my place of refuge as a student. In her calm and gentle voice, I found reassurance and hope when fear and racial tensions permeated the campus community. I always left her presence feeling lighter and prepared to meet the challenges of learning, living and leading other students in this environment.

As students we could always count on Florence to advocate for our interests, to promote genuine inclusion of students of color and working class students, and to attend the Sisterhood’s programs. On the day I finally completed my senior thesis, Florence was the first person I went to see. She greeted me with a warm smile and a hug. Over the years we’ve shared many wonderful memories and stories together. I often enjoyed hearing her recollections as a student at Fisk University, her modest days as a graduate student studying in Boston, and her beautiful courtship and life with her husband.
I was also inspired by her sophisticated style. Her petite frame was always clothed in timeless garments. Her example helped me to redefine the meaning of beauty, and reinforced the notion that it is important how I present myself to others. I even cut my hair and began to wear a natural coiffe. When I began wearing my hair natural, my mother told me that I would have difficulty finding a job, I replied, “Well, Florence wears her hair like this.” Contrary to my mother’s misconceptions, I’ve been employed ever since and I love my hair! So thank you Florence for just being you, and for always being there for me!

#3

Florence Goff has been one of the key leaders of diversity initiatives at Bryn Mawr. Her connection to this begins with a deep personal understanding of the issues and a heartfelt commitment to justice and equality. Florence genuinely loves Bryn Mawr students and her work, and her enthusiasm and perseverance inspire me. She thoughtfully raises issues of diversity with the Bryn Mawr Board of Trustees, eloguently puts forth a strong case and is continually open to learning. She is an amazing person and an extraordinary asset for Bryn Mawr.

#4

That’s admirable, I wish we had more people like that contributing to the community in such a way and have equality as a goal.

#5

#6

Florence, such a great personality, her work is really really admirable. Am an Asian and i wish some one could ever guide the Asian students like Florence did.